Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Transitional metal: ZINC

I chose the transitional metal zinc, because it's a very valuable and important metal to get the right amount of in our diet. Zinc is used in more enzyme reactions within our bodies than any other mineral(zinc is a component of more than 200 enzymes within the human body!). Zinc is needed for protein synthesis and therefore cell growth. For this reason it's needed to enable proper healing from wounds. Zinc is also vital for immune system function, and has been shown to decrease risk of infection, and has virus-inhibiting functions. In terms of Chinese Medicine (according to Bob Flaws), Zinc brightens the eyes, nourishes the liver and enriches the kidneys.
It is possible to take too much zinc, and it needs to be well balanced with other minerals (selenium being one). It's my understanding that it's relatively easy to get adequate quantities of zinc through foods such as pumpkin seed, hemp seed, whole grains, and shellfish such as oyster or prawns. Zinc deficiency is a common problem in the U.S., mainly due to poor diet and it's a simple problem to fix through a conscious diet.

ZINC, Zn 30, 65.409


CHEMICAL BONDS WEBSITE
The chemistry bonding images on the canby.com website were a nice visual. It was a little easier to understand the bonding of different elements with the use of color...it also shows the area where the positive and negative charges are actually mingling together.

The idea of isomers is pretty interesting. Through different configuration and proportion, the same elements (for instance CARBON mixed with HYDROGEN and OXYGEN) can assume completely different shapes.

2 comments:

Alison Ruy said...

Thanks for the reminder of the importance of zinc! I don't take any vitamins, and although I eat fairly healthy, I'll have to do a more conscious assessment of my mineral intake. Especially zinc- with as much responsibility as it has! :)

BrownRabbit said...

Amazing.
Eating requires such an amazing awareness and investment into ensuring a truly health-filled diet.

I would love to incorporate diet and nutrition into my practice and have been enjoying cooking for myself and others in new and creative ways. I cook vegan most often and so I have found that in order to provide a nutritional balance and richness, I have to be creative and smart about the whole process.

I have come to love sea veggies because they are so super-rich in minerals and vitamins. I am also new to discover the wonders of mineral-rich sea salts. I also have a strong interest in water and using and consuming the appropriate quality of water (i.e. correct pH, mineraly healthy, non-toxic, energetically activated).